Monday, June 15, 2009

The Right to Work Act and Me

When sociologists analyze the government and the economy, they often focus on the abuse of power within governing bodies. Conflict theorists especially look at how the government may exploit their control over the weak or un-empowered individuals. The Right to Work law has sparked much controversy in the sociological world, where as many argue that the act allows for a spike in employment and greater economic growth while others argue that the law allots for lower wages and mistreatment of workers. This law affects a large majority of our nation’s workforce, including myself.

            I have loved the art of acting ever since elementary school and proceeded to act in plays since the third grade. I eventually progressed into professional theater and tv/film acting as I grew older. After signing with an agency in Atlanta and an agency in L.A, I realized the effects of the Right to Work law within the acting community. Recently, a significant portion of the film industry has migrated away from California and into states with the Right to Work law (particularly Georgia and South Carolina). Because these states have incorporated the Right to Work law into their constitutions, film makers and producers can avoid Unions, such as SAG (the Screen Actors Guild), from intervening on set and in production. In Right to Work states, more non-union actors, like myself, can be hired, providing more people with employment, BUT non-union workers are typically paid less because we do not have representation by a union who regulates worker wages. Ultimately, the Right to Work act has been a personal benefit because it has brought more auditions, work, and filming to the Southeast region, providing me with more opportunities. It has also given me the option to avoid joining SAG before I am ready and before I have the means to pay the high union fees. While I know the Right to Work act does not benefit all actors and that I may one day need to join a Union, presently the law has had favorable consequences on my status as an actor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment