Friday, June 5, 2009

Roger and Me

Although I have lived below the Mason-Dixon line since I was nine years old, my home remains in Rochester Hills, Michigan; a suburb of Detroit and located about 40 minutes from Flint, Michigan. With the exception of myself and parents, my entire family resides in Michigan, including various relatives whom live in Flint. Due to my connection with the city, I feel I have reasonable authority to comment on the effects of GM closing various plants in the area over two decades ago – as depicted in Michael Moore’s documentary, Roger and Me.

In the film, Moore evaluates Roger Smith’s decision to close GM plants in Flint and the effect this had on the community; Moore does so from a perspective based on the Conflict Theory. Moore focuses on those who struggle after they have been laid off or negatively affected by GM and stresses that such group of people have been treated unfairly. He further uses the conflict theory as he views social classes in the area in a Marxist manner. The wealthy are portrayed as heartless and culpable while the penniless are illustrated as innocent, exploited laborers.

 The portrait Moore paints of the Flint community is heartbreaking. BUT, it seems to be most devastating on an individual or small group level. While I agree with Moore in that the plant closings may have been detrimental and unfair to many former GM employees, I have to wonder – Were Roger Smith’s intentions beneficial for society or completely self-serving? Although I do not know answer this question, I wish that Moore would have focused a bit more attention on the possible reasoning’s behind Smith’s decisions instead of automatically demonizing Smith before the viewer has a chance to here Smith’s side of the story. This would make the film more credible as it would allow the viewer to see both sides of the story, as opposed to the one-sided view expressed by Moore. While I enjoyed Moore’s documentary, and respect his attempts to boost Flint’s economy, I believe that Michael Moore’s stereotype of only including evidence to support his case and his tendency to extremity situations, partially shines through in this film. 

1 comment:

  1. Moore attempted to get in contact with Rogers but everyone denied him. He tried to get his side of the story but he was denied sever times.

    ReplyDelete